Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Originally original

I find myself in various places in my new city thinking the same thing about people I see: what the hell were you thinking, if you were, when you dressed yourself this morning?

I don't want to step on any toes but...

I appreciate and almost understand a person's desire to be an individual and express who they are to everyone around. Our appearance is always our first impression unless you're a switchboard operator or sex chat fiend. We display ourselves for everyone who we are because we will not have the opportunity to speak to everybody we come in contact with.

But come on people! If you look at how your friends and you dress, and there is no difference: you've succesfully become your own worst enemy: trendy. I'm afraid so, but it's true. You have successfully made the most debilitating of all personal statments: "I'm just like the person next to me, I'm just like somebody else." Ouchtown. Population: you.

Maybe I am oblivious to this occurance in any other social groups, but I notice it most in the "against the grain" group. You know them: black hair, black fishnet stockings, Against All Authority (the band) t-shirts, and really tight pants. The very group who is against establishment is establishing themselves a solid mass of non-individual thinkers. Nice work gang.

I don't want to step on any toes though, I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. I concur. At what point does the individuals search for individuality become counterproductive to the individuals opportunity to improve, or at least limit their drain on society? When emo kids spend that much time on gothing themselves out to make sure everyone one around them knows that they don’t care what anyone else thinks about them, without realizing it they are now caring what everyone thinks about them.

    Self-expression is one thing, but blaming your fears and problems on the people who “don’t understand you” (cool kids, parents, and/or the establishment) because you are “creative” (a cutter) or “unique” (bed wetter) is an excuse, and using it is only selling yourself out.

    You don’t have to aspire to be president to be a success. Success is only a method to measure personal happiness, either through financial and/or emotional wealth. You will never have a shot at being a success if you keep your face permanently painted. That is what circus clowns are for. Can emo kids make balloon animals?

    It's a good thing popped collar polo’s, short shorts, and topsiders without socks don't fall into that category. Whew.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Good, tell us how great we are. Hate it? Even Better, you are the reason we have to write it. Now tell us why you can do better.